Catania airport resumes after eruption of Mount Etna


Volcano eruption near Mount Etna play videoVolcano eruption near Mount Etna

The Catania airport has actually resumed after momentarily closing due to the eruption of Mount Etna on the southern Italian island of Sicily, the ANSA news company reported on Wednesday.

The neighboring volcano had actually emerged for nearly an hour the previous night. Afterwards, runways needed to be cleared of ashes, the airport revealed on Tuesday night.

On Wednesday early morning, Italian tv revealed that the sky in the area was blue and clear once again.

Authorities continue to keep an eye on the volcano’s activity, however the circumstance was under control, media reports stated.

Etna had actually formerly gushed fire and ash in an amazing style. According to media reports, there was a strong surge on the south-east side of the volcano.

Fountains of lava shot numerous numerous metres into the air prior to streaming into a valley on the mountain’s east side, according to the National Institute for Geophysics and Vulcanology (INGV.

“It sounded like a bomb explosion,” a citizen of Catania informed dpa.
Numerous users shared images and videos of the natural phenomenon on social networks. They revealed a big cloud of smoke increasing from the crater and lava streaming down the slope.

The smoke reached a height of numerous kilometres, INGV stated.
There were no reports of bigger damage, injuries or casualties, the city of Catania validated to dpa.

Ash drizzled down on homes, streets and verandas in the city. Some streets were still covered by ash on Wednesday, citizens stated.

Etna appears time and once again, with numerous eruptions taped because 1977, according to the INGV. The volcano lies in eastern Sicily.

Catania, with more than 300,000 occupants, is among the bigger cities in the location.

The mountain itself is over 3,300 metres high and is a UNESCO World Heritage website.

Catania airport resumes after eruption of Mount Etna